Nervous about the mystery ingredients in hair removal products, or trying to find something less harsh for your sensitive skin? A do-it-yourself sugaring paste may be the answer! With just a few ingredients found around the kitchen, you can make a cheap, effective, and skin-safe mixture to remove your nuisance hair.
- Combine two cups of sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice (for it’s exfoliating and antiseptic properties) and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan on low to medium heat. Stir continuously until the sugar turns dark brown.
- Pour the mixture into a thick, heat-safe plastic container. Let it cool until it’s spreadable, but still somewhat warm. If it does cool too much, re-heat in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Gather a tongue depressor and cloth or disposable strips. Spread a thick layer of the paste onto skin using the tongue depressor, the size of one strip.
- Immediately apply the cloth strip, pressing down in the direction of hair growth to smooth.
- Hold one end of the strip firmly, then pull the strip off in the opposite direction of hair growth. If hair is not completely removed, wipe area clean of paste and repeat.